I would beg to differ.  As a past owner of an FT-2000d with the DMU-2000 "pan
adapter" I have to say 1 - that pan adapter was FAR MORE than what Elecraft has
described the P3 would do.  It was a logging system, it was a rotor control
with world map, it was an AF scope, it was also a pan adapter among other
things. Plus, you could use it on ANY size screen.

Sure, there were features that needed serious refinement.. but when I purchased
mine BRAND NEW it was still only $650 "on sale".  Of course that "sale" never
seemed to end, but when it did go away for a little bit, the price never went
higher than 700 or 775 dollars.

In my personal opinion, for Elecraft to charge more than $700 (if that) for a
pan adapter that does only one or at best 2 functions is outrageous.  I would
have thought that $500 to $650 would be the TOP number they would be targeting.

I don't know about you, but I'm not made out of money, and to even consider
plunking down $1000 for a simple pan adapter is an absolute JOKE.

Yes, I will most likely purchase the P3 pan adapter, but I'll be keeping my
fingers crossed that Elecraft understands that even if I have to purchase a
$80-$150 LCD monitor, ALL of their competition is priced below that ridiculous
mark others have talked about.

LP-PAN kit = $176.75USD
LP-PAN assembled = $227.25USD

Software: FREE

1) Manufacturer: YAESU
Item : DMU-2000
Description : DATA MANAGEMENT UNIT FT-2000/950/5000 SERIES
$869.95
Coupon: $80.00
YOUR HRO PRICE $789.95

Gigaparts:

YAESU DMU-2000
Data Management Unit for FT-2000

Discounts included in price: $80.00 instant rebate expires 03/31/2010.

Regular:

$849.00

Discounts:

-$80.00

Net Price:

$769.00

And on and on and on.... Like I said, $500 to $650 is a FAIR price.  $700 is
PUSHING it.  Just my opinion, you don't need to agree with it.