Pardon the interruption, but while watching this interesting thread as a
<gasp!> ex Product Development Manager with a <shudder>
engineering/operations background, I have a little itty bitty, teensy weensy
question on your proposed use case scenario:

|If I hear someone that is answering my CQ, but is off by 300 Hz from my
"pitch" freq. then I can simply turn on |the RIT (or already start with it
on) and hit the SPOT button.. NOW, this gives me the ability to QUICKLY turn
|the WIDTH knob all the way down to 50 Hz KNOWING that the person answering
my call is right in the center of my |Passband, and I'm not going to loose
him as I narrow down.

How does the radio choose the specific pitch to center up when there is more
than one caller within your passband?  Frequency?  Level?  Random?  Do you
expect the product to *choose the one specific station* that your mind
chooses to "match pitch" to without a telepathy subroutine, or will you
always be happy with the radio's choice?  If not, then how do you tell the
radio to center that *one specific caller* at that *one specific tone
frequency* that you want?  In the existing GUI, the functionality to cover
this decision point is "twist the RIT knob".  How do you propose to modify
the GUI functionality to do what you want and get consistent results?

Not being flippant, but I just wonder, from a product functionality
development angle, if you have considered all the use cases scenarios for
the requested feature.

While I agree that, on the surface, the feature has merit on paper, the
"real world" often brings "unexpected results" to perfectly viable use
cases.

I used to be in Automation.  Funny thing about Automation... It always
worked flawlessly.  It only broke when it was given wrong or incomplete
information by its users who assumed it would think for them.

Lu Romero
W4LT

"Product Management is not a job for the faint of heart"  ...Jim Layton,
Harris Broadcast

No virus found in this outgoing message

Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.1.0.25 - 6.14440).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/