Ron,

I would recommend you continue with HRD/DM780.  It handles many more
digital modes than just PSK31 - and HRD handles the Transmit function
through commands through the serial port connected to the K3 with no
problem.  As you gain more experience with digital modes, you may want
to try something other than PSK31 (like RTTY, SSTV, etc.).  Besides, you
said it works for you.

Could it be that the problem when using the other applications is that
they fail to put the K3 into transmit for you?
If so, you can usually set both the K3 and the application to use DTR or
RTS for the PTT function (over the serial port connection to the K3).
That has two potential problems: 1) when the K3 is powered up, if there
is an active signal on the RTS or DTR signal lines, the K3 will respond
with a ERR KEY message until the condition is cleared, or 2) If on
bootup (or any other time) the computer activates the DTR or RTS signals
(many do), it will key the K3 at unexpected times.
If you can work around those two potential problems, then keying via RTS
or DTR can work just fine.
You can also use VOX and not bother with the PTT input to the K3.

Bottom line -- since you can use HDR/DM780 successfully, the audio
channels are functioning, and I suspect that your problem is in getting
the K3 into transmit state from the software application.

There could also be a problem if your application is not setting up the
soundcard correctly.  If you are connecting to a dedicated soundcard
(your USB soundcard) for PSK31 operation, make certain that the
application is using the correct soundcard.

The advantage for using a soundcard different than the Windows default
soundcard is that the Windows beeps and sounds are not transmitted on
the PSK portion of the hambands.

Other than those general guidelines, I cannot help much more because
each computer is different.

73,
Don W3FPR