I personally have tried about 5 different adapters.  Even USB-RS232 adapters
from with the same chip set different sources seem to function differently.
 It took 5 adapters before I found one that would work with my laptop.
 Personally, I think the issue is that different adaptors function
differently on different computers as well.  One that works on my HP server
machine will blue screen my one laptop.  I have tried these adapters on
about 5 different computers and depending on the computer they might or
might not work.

A good ethernet interface which communicates without using any rs-232 serial
bus protocall internal would be best.

The user could then simply plug the radio into the network, set a static IP
address and port and connect to it using the PC and an existing network
card.   The only wire required would be a network cable.  If you do not
happen to have an extra network connection you would need a switch or
router, but they are very very cheap.

Until the software vendors get their software upgraded you could use one of
the free programs that create a virtual serial port and forward the commands
to an IP address.  I suspect the software vendors would be very quick to
make the change to connect directly via IP since it is essentially doing the
same communications on a the ethernet interface.  I have not added that to
K-Keys yet, but I am now considering adding it.....just to make a point.

An added benefit to an ethernet interface is it would eliminate the need for
a program such as LP Bridge.  With ethernet, the K3 would know who is
connected to it because each connection would have its own port.  That would
allow the K3 to know who is requesting information, so it could respond to
just that machine.  It could also broadcast certain information to all
connections (like the frequency) so that each software program would not
have to constantly poll the K3.  This would make the communication much more
efficient.

I don't mean to be putting down LP Bridge.  It is a great program and works
very well, but it exists because the only one software application can talk
reliably to a serial port at one time.

Ken KE3C