I just got through with my KAT2 and had the same issue. Before actually
getting on the phone with Elecraft, tho I temporarily fitted the socket and
header on the board and trial fitted each .001 cap one-by-one to see if any
of them would be thin enough to fit. I did find 4 that just baaarely fit in
the gap, so I went ahead with the build. I still ended up having to force
the header just a little bit to get it vertical, squeezing the cap a bit
between it and the socket. But it came out ok so I wasn't worried and just
kept going
.
This seems like a goof in the KAT2 kit to me as most the .001's definitely
are too fat to fit in the gap.

Once done and put in the rig, the tuner works great. My T1 I'll be using
with my K3 so I needed another for the K2. Since it's going portable just
decided to put in the internal....

LS