Steve,

Based on your "sharp whack" cure, but yes, that does usually indicate a
solder problem (or something loose).
I would first check RFC15 on the bottom of the board - it is connected
to pin 16 of U4 - check it with an ohmeter, even if it is open, it will
measure 5 volts on both ends.  Since your problem is intermittent, I
could suppose that RFC15 is damaged, but not completely.  If you suspect
that at all, jumper it out temporarily and see if the problem ceases to
occur.

Other things that can contribute to raspy TX audio are the KPA100 ribbon
cable and its speaker cable.  If this is a KPA100, be certain those are
dressed as far away from the KSB2 board as possible.  Remove the right
side panel and tuck these cables up into the corner between the KPA100
front cover panel and the top of the control board.

If neither of those steps correct the problem, it could be something
following the PLL itself.  Look at the schematic for the RF Board sheet
1 - everything to the right of U4 is a potential suspect and could
deserve re-flowing the solder.

73,
Don W3FPR