I suggest you get a brand new K3 kit.  Building the kit (no soldering) is a
very good exercise to know how to add options or even hardware updates at a
later time since you will be familiar with the internals.

Older equipment though can always be updated but from what I gather by reading
this forum, I bet most K3 owners keep their rigs up to date anyway.  Another
thing to consider -- judging by the prices I have seen, you do not save enough
on buying an older K3 to sacrifice the great advantage of putting the kit
together yourself.  I am not a kit builder and I was somewhat anxious when I
took on the task of building my K3 but Elecraft could not have made it any
easier -- indeed, building a K3 is worth the feeling of awe that you get in
appreciating the engineering design that has been put into it.

And, one advantage of ordering it new, you can get exactly what you want (I
submit you want everything).

73, phil, K7PEH