Hi Gary,

Whether it's the same or not depends on whether the previous owner
kept up with the hardware mods that Elecraft has published (see
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm)
.  Depending on how old the K3 is and what mods might have already
been done to it, there could be up to 15 or so hardware changes to
bring it up to the "latest and greatest", although it would have to be
a pretty low serial number to require all 15.

In making a decision, you should factor in your willingness and
ability to do any hardware mods that haven't already been done.  Most
of them are well documented and can be done by someone with average
soldering skills, common hand tools, and an ESD-safe work mat and
wrist band.  If doing surgery on the rig isn't your cup of tea, you
might want to either make sure the used rig is up to date before
buying it, find someone to make the mods for you (Elecraft will do it
for a price), or just get a new rig.

73
--
Joe KB8AP