It's nice that you bring up the SPE 1K, since it demonstrates very nicely the
loss you can suffer with a built-in tuner.

The ARRL review
(http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/ProductReview/pdf/pr0909.pdf)
 said that there was 100-200W loss in the internal tuner, and presumably this
is into a matched load in the laboratory.

With a mismatched load the losses are generally going to be even higher.

With solid-state power costing upwards of $3-$4/watt these days ($3.20 in this
case), why anyone wants to leave $500-600 worth in the box is beyond me.  But
then I could never get my arms around the whole mismatched
antenna/ladderline/balun/tuner thing in the first place.

Wes  N7WS