>You do realize that you're simply asking Elecraft to turn the K3 into
your computer (except with a different operating system), right?  <

More or less, yes. But the elecraft solution would be purpose-built for
controlling the K3, using the data modes etc., which my computer is
decidedly not.

>Possibly it might be useful to be able to connect a keyboard and mouse
directly to a P3, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how #1 below is
any more elegant than #2 for portable operation, at least in terms of
hardware.

1.  K3 + P3 + keyboard + mouse + external monitor + paper log + hand
transfer of QSOs to home computer

2.  K3 + P3 (or LP-PAN) + small laptop <

That's because you're dramatically oversimplifying #2 hi hi. There you
forgot, keyboard, mouse, external monitor, drivers (introduce first 3rd
party here), searching internet for fixed drivers, installing LP-PAN (3rd
party #2) and associated software, fighting with Windows (3rd party #3) to
get drivers working, and so on.

#1 being a proprietary, purpose-built solution gets around the Rube Goldberg
affect of the general purpose solution in #2, all its 3rd parties and the
hassle getting it all to work right.

That's the general idea I have in mind anyway....

73,
LS
W5QD