True - like all the solutions, each is going to have its compromises and
advantages. It depends on which compromise is the best fit for your intended
use. My only point is the general purpose (outboard computer) solution that
has the advantages of more advanced software is not necessarily cost-free.
And in fact, those costs can be high enough (again depending on what you
want to do and what your tolerance is for juggling 3rd party issues, etc) to
warrant choosing a purpose-built solution instead.

If I were still a Windows user, for example, I wouldn't even be attempting a
computer based solution at all because of the fight I'd face having to use
Windows and the associated SW alone (much less a completely SDR). But as a
Mac user, I'm already able to use your cocoaModem and RUMLog with my K3 with
very little problem at all (except for my interference issues which I have
to solve in any case).

But if the P3, say, could duplicate something similar without me having to
use my computers and offered a truly hassle-free centralized option, I would
definitely look at it.

73,
LS
W5QD