*We really suggest to always leave the transceiver's output
power manual*
*control to its maximum level because the EXPERT, thanks to
its exclusive*
*design, will provide to control that level as long as the
required optimal*
*value will be reached.*
*Elecraft has only to implement a very fast input able to
deal with negative
*voltages as all the other manufacturers already do: SPE's
amplifier will*
*adapt to that in order to work for the best possible
linearity.*

The ALC loop response can never be faster than group delay
through the transmitter chain. While I have never measured
the Elecraft filter, some crystal filters have a few mS
delay. The propagation through the rest of the circuitry
adds to the delay, as does the inevitable delay time in the
actual ALC system. All of those delays, from the ALC control
point forward to the ALC detection, and back from that point
to the AGC controlled stage, add together.

Elecraft did a VERY smart thing by having the ALC detection,
or at least part of the ALC detection, ahead of the narrow
filters and everything else. Running the radio full on and
relying on the amplifier ALC would undo this, and may not
bring the results assumed.

Not only that, running other radios full on and depending
100% on amplifier ALC is probably not a good idea either.
The less "stuff" between the power sampling point and the
gain controlled stage, the better off we are.

The whole reason some radios have overshoot is they run gain
wide open and depend on a detector at the antenna port to
reduce power, and the sum of delays from the gain controlled
stage to the antenna, through the detector, through a
comparator, and back to the gain controlled stage is what
causes the problem in the first place. Moving the detection
point out of the radio is never a benefit.

I can't think of a reason in the world to use the amplifier
ALC for anything other than a safety limit, especially with
a rig like the K3 that does gain control and ALC ahead of
the filters and components that cause most of the delay in
the ALC loop.

Can anyone else see why running the radio wide open and
using 100% external detection is a good idea?

73 Tom