Hi Dave,

I'm not sure that the embedded picture I received from you would be passed
by the reflector, so I'm just quoting your text below.

The graphics show that peak distortion in the adjacent channel was only down
25 db from in-channel max power. This even though your trebled up voice is
still fairly bass controlled.

Which means that if you were up or down from this signal at 20 over on
channel, you would be hearing S8 or S9 splatter from it.  Sounds familiar,
doesn't it.

The 1500 watt power spike is particularly frightening, especially if it
comes out of my wallet.  Might want to pass your results on to the
manufacturer as a customer and request they pull that recommendation from
their publications and web page. Make sure they understand it's getting them
a lot of bad press and is NOT panning out.

About as graphic an underscore to Wayne's warning as one can get.   (Sorry,
couldn't resist....)

73, Guy

Hello Guy,

Well, you sure called it.  This screen shot is taken under the same
conditions as the previous ones except that the tx equalizer was set to try
and simulate a Heil HC4.  The tx equalizer settings were: 1 - 0db, 2 - 0db,
3 - 0db, 4 - 0db, 5 - +2db, 6 - + 4db, 7 - + 10db, and 8 - +10db.  Two
things I noticed right away:  First, the peak power is nearly 1500 watts!  I
sure am glad I still have finals in the Expert.  Second, there is definite
splatter as evidenced by the light and dark blue on the Modulation quickview
window.

One can say a lot of things about these tests but one thing comes through
loud and clear to me:

ALC should not be used to control the K3 set to 100 watts with the Expert 1K
FA.  Rather the power should be set on each band to just what the Expert
needs to reach full power.

To do otherwise may cause splatter and might result in final failure.  How
long can the Expert finals take this kind of abuse?

73 de W6BK