Thanks Guy for the well thought out response.  Now we are getting somewhere.

The setup is a K3 using an Elecraft hand microphone feeding an Expert 1K FA
solid state linear to a Windom antenna.  The detector is a WaveNode WM2.  The
RF sensor module is between the Expert and the Antenna.  The WaveNode is
described on their web site (You can Google it,) and the manual is there too.
The K3 is set up using ESSB with a width of 3.2.  The tx equalizer is flat
except for bands 7 and 8 which are set for -6db.  The audio was my spoken voice
so would be different from A to B.  I have been told that I have a "radio
voice" and should have been in broadcasting.  I made a few radio and tv
commercials for a company I worked for in the mid 1970s and to this day I have
people come up to me and ask if I was on the radio in Cleveland.  Somehow they
remember the voice after decades.  As you say, it is very base dominated.

The WaveNode is a really fun toy which I am just now figuring out how to use.
What I look for to see splatter is the presence of colors other than green in
the Modulation Quickview window.  If I see that, I know there is splatter.  If
I don't, then I assume I am OK.

As you suggest, I will try this with the tx equalizer set up for narrow contest
operation.  I'll let you know what happens.

In any case, I am convinced that the K3 should be operated with the Expert with
each band of the K3 set for only the power necessary to drive the Expert to its
rated power.  In my case, this is 15 watts plus or minus a few.  It is
interesting to note that I can drive the Expert to nearly full power with my
QRP K2.

I'll report back on further tests.  Thanks for all your good words.

73 de W6BK