Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:46:09 -0400
From: "Tom W8JI" <w...@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Calling CQ on PSK-31
To: "Elecraft" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>, "Frank MacDonell"
         <kd8...@gmail.com>

Frank,

There are multiple reasons you are not getting a response.

While it is true PSK is only a few dB better than CW under
ideal conditions,  some tend to pretend PSK is magical and
very low ERP will work wonders.
Unfortunately very weak signals are still very weak signals.
They will just be buried in the noise on the other station's
display. Even if they are printable when found, no one will
see you. Length of CQ is especially a factor when a signal
is really weak.

It's kind of like a world where everyone is equal and held
to the same low level, except with 5 watts and an indoor
antenna you are probably among the lowest of the equally
weak signals. You just won't stand out at all. CQing is not
the way to go when the signal is barely above noise. Have
fun calling people, that will be the best way with an indoor
antenna and 5 watts. CQing will be frustrating.

73 Tom

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45