Ken, thanks for the nice K3-to-K3 rag-chew QSO on 6m the other night. Big
signal from you down here in the desert.

One thing that's interesting is how the definition of QRP has changed over
the years. I used to be a card-carrying member of the QRP ARCI -- WB2JOK,
#1879. You can look it up. :-) "QRP" in those days (early 1960s) was
considered to be 100 watts or less. Input watts, of course, not output. So
figure 60 watts or so of RF. I ran a single homebrew 6146 at around 90 watts
input on HF CW in those days.

Since I now like to work 6-meter weak signal digital modes in addition to
SSB and CW on that band, I have a kilowatt-plus amp at my disposal, and I
don't hesitate to use it. I try to remember to switch it off when
rag-chewing with local buddies, but in general, I have to admit to being an
adherent nowadays to the maxim, "Life is too short to run QRP." LOL

I'm mentioning this fact not to start another round of off-topic "QRO vs.
QRP" bloviating, but just as a somewhat sheepish admission: Yes, I run QRO.
There, I said it! Power does help you complete more QSOs. And if more QSOs
completed is your goal, running higher power is a perfectly valid way of
accomplishing it. For the dyed-in-the-wool QRPer, of course, it's not the
quantity of Qs that counts, but what you can do, once in a while, with much
less than might be thought possible.

Now these days, while running a kilowatt on 6 meters SSB during an Es
opening, I am often the object of a pile-up; strange as it may seem (to me),
there are a lot of guys with small stations back east who have never worked
New Mexico on 6. I'm rare DX as far as they're concerned; they can actually
hear me with their modest, sometimes indoor antennas because of my high ERP.
I'm often told that I'm the only signal on the band, which is why they're
willing to keep trying -- for hours on end, sometimes -- to work me.

So if I hear the word "QRP" come through in between bursts of S9+40 mush, I
will call "QRZ the QRP station," and try to pull him through. Is that guy
necessarily running what is defined as SSB QRP nowadays (10 watts PEP
output)? I have no idea, but the guy clearly isn't running a kW to a 7JHV,
and I will try to help him out, up to the point where it becomes clear that
he's just too weak to pull through the noise floor. But the other 50 guys on
the frequency will have to wait while I try. See, I remember when I was a
kid and I couldn't AFFORD to run any more power than I was running or put up
any better an antenna. I did the best I could with what I had, and that
wasn't much in comparison to most of the guys I was trying to work, with
their NC-303s and HT-32Bs.

I'm not saying the point Ken makes isn't true, just that it isn't true for
everybody. For example, one of the biggest kicks I ever got on 6 meters was
working a guy running 3 watts PEP to a rubber duck, sitting on his hotel
balcony on Padre Island, Texas -- with the hotel building behind him in my
direction! Yes, it was tough copy during a very strong Es opening, but we
made a valid QSO, and at least it was tough copy only in one direction.

I have total respect for guys who like to run QRP; it just isn't for me
personally, any more. I done my time. ;-)

Bill W5WVO