Hi Larry,

I assume you've tried playing with different settings of both the IF
and DSP noise blankers.  If not, by all means try it and use the least
aggressive settings that make the situation tolerable.

I'm not sure how the DSP NB works, but the IF NB works by essentially
shutting off the signal path in the IF stage for the duration of the
noise pulse.  For relatively infrequent pulses, these brief blank
spots in the received signal aren't very noticeable to our ears.
However, if the blanking action is frequent (either because of the
nature of the noise or because the threshold is set too low), the
blanker effectively becomes a mixer combining the desired signal at
the IF frequency with the frequency of the noise pulses (and harmonics
thereof, etc.)  When this happens, you'll hear distortion and
"intermod" just as you've described.  I'm afraid it's the nature of
the beast.

Your best bet in the long run is to find and fix the source of the
noise.  A distant second best is backing off the NB settings to find a
compromise between the noise and the intermod that's at least tolerable.

73
--
Joe KB8AP