I will agree with the below email.

I have a Ameritron ALS600 and an MFJ 998 autotuner.  I
bought this combo for use with my former TS850.  When I
purchased the K3, I continued to use the tuner, albeit with
no "rig control", as the tuner was connected to the TS850's
"tune" button with a home made interface cable (which cost
me $2, not the $60 that MFJ asks for the same thing).

To tune when using the amp and the K3, I simply press and
hold the XMIT button, after setting my tune power to 10
watts.  The amp then makes about 40 watts and the tuner auto
tunes.  Pressing XMIT again concludes the tune cycle and
away I go.  I have it plugged into my secondary TS570D and
it works with the tune button there like it did with the
'850.  I just implemented a $15 Radio Shack Video Switch to
switch Foot Switch, Keyer paddles and Amp Trigger between
the rigs.  Works perfectly (tho I drool over the new
Microham SO2R mini box!).  The amp will eventually
bandswitch using some Unified Microsystems decoders, but
this is a future "enhancement" when I have time.

The first '998 I received had a bad relay.  HRO immediately
sent me a new one, which then "burned in" powered on for
three days with no issues.  It has survived unscathed since
then through many contests.

I originally thought I would miss the "tune button on the
radio" functionality, but with my somewhat resonant antennas
(a "Carolina Windom" on 80/40 and WARC bands and an A3S on
20/15/10) I dont miss the feature.  Just make sure and
"preset" the MFJ by doing a tune cycle every 10kHz on all
the bands I operate on and let it make noise for a while.
Next time I operate there, it remembers the settings and if
your antennas have not changed, the settings just take less
than a second and one "clack" of the relays.

Frankly, I am very pleased with the (knock on wood)
reliability and performance of the MFJ998.  It has been rock
solid.  I had a '993 before it and it too was rock solid.  I
had an LDG AT1000 that was horrible, so YMMV.  Best MFJ
devices I have ever owned.

I will look into the new Elecraft autotuner in the P3 box.
If it implements Kenwood protocol (for my backup rig's use)
I may look into it, however, for the cost, the '998 is
pretty hard to beat for what you get and how it works!
Yeah, its kind of ugly, but it does work well.

-lu-w4lt-