Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:14:31 -0500
From: "Bob Naumann" <w...@w5ov.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] LDG
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

For a moment, consider that what the LDG rep says may be true.

I suspect that it is, given the incredible advertising & promotional budgets
that Icom and Yaesu apparently have from sales of their products.

While Elecraft is clearly doing well and they're growing, it is also clear
that these long-standing manufacturers (I,Y) are selling lots more radios. A
quick Internet search shows that it is estimated that Icom USA (Note: This
is USA only) has sales revenues on a yearly basis of between $50 million and
$100 million. Then, add whatever Icom is doing in the rest of the world, and
you begin to get the picture of how big these companies are in comparison.

What this tells us is that while us K3 types are devoted and loyal, we're
just a drop in the bucket of the world-wide amateur market compared to the
"big two". (Kenwood doesn't count until they come out with a real radio -
then it once again may be the 'big 3').

73,

W5OV

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45