Well the K2 is still a really capable rig, so by all means you won't
"outgrow" it for a long time if it meets your needs. The RX still
outperforms most of the other rigs on the market, even a lot of the high end
ones, hi hi.

Among other things I bought my K3 for the digital modes. But almost as soon
as I was done building the connecting cables, I lost interest in them and
went back to CW-only, where I've been since 1974 anyway, hi hi. So I
actually don't really need my K3 (tho it's probably the most capable CW rig
on the planet hi hi).

But the K2 is also capable for SSB and digital modes with the SSB option
installed. So if you eventually plan to use those modes, you can still do so
with the K2 by adding that option.

My K2 worked out-of-the-box with no problems after I was done with it and I
was a first-time builder. And the build is one of the funnest things you'll
ever do in ham radio because it's such a well-done kit.

So I think you'll be fine either way.

73,
LS
W5QD