Jeff,

I see you have gotten a few helpful answers.  Let me add something to
your questions about shift and width.
The shift and width are mostly helpful for CW and possibly DATA modes -
the SHIFT centers your receive passband.  A rough estimate of the
passband is shown in the lower left graphic on the LCD display.  You
should always keep some part of your passband at the CW pitch you are
listening to (the sidetone pitch), otherwise the signal you wish to
receive will be attenuated because it is outside the passband.

The width simply narrows the passband - and it narrows it from both
sides, so as you attempt to use more narrow widths, the setting of the
shift control becomes more critical.  That is about all there is to
shift and width.

Now, for SSB, you will find the shift and width more cumbersome to use
while trying to maintain SSB intelligibility.  The cure is to tap either
the shift or width buttons so they become LO CUT and HI CUT instead.
Set the LO CUT at 200 to 300 Hz and leave it there.  Control the width
of the SSB passband only with the HI CUT knob and you will maintain
intelligibility as you narrow the passband.
If the band is not crowded and you have no QRM on your desired SSB
signal, reduce the LO CUT to 150 Hz, and increase the HI CUT to 3.00 kHz
(or even 3.50) to achieve the best fidelity.  If an interfering signal
comes in on the (audio) high frequency side of the desired station,
reduce the HI CUT to try to minimize the QRM - conversely, if the
interfering signal is on the low frequency end, increase the frequency
of the LO CUT to eliminate the QRM - one caution, go slowly with the LO
CUT because if the low end of the passband is much above 350 Hz, you
will sacrifice a lot of intelligibility for the desired station.

I hope that is helpful.  If you did not understand, please ask again.

73,
Don W3FPR