As another data point in this discussion...

I operate 100% CW with my K3, which is equipped with 200, 500, 1000, and
2.7KHz filters.

During FD 2010 I made 400+ CW QSO's during my two 4 hour operating shifts.
The great majority of that operating time was spent with the DSP bandwidth
at 600-700 Hz (and the 1KHz crystal filter.) Only once, when digging out a
weak one, did I narrow the bandwidth tight enough to engage the 200Hz
crystal filter. FD may not be the ultimate contest environment test, but
it's busy. Calling stations are often pretty far off zero beat in FD, so one
needs a fairly wide bandwidth to hear many of them. The 1KHz crystal filter
combined with the K3 DSP did a swimmingly good job this year and in FD's 09
and 08. Would a 750 Hz crystal filter be better? Perhaps, but I'm quite
happy with what I have now.

73,
  john WA1ABI