Paul,

Good to hear you were successful.
Yes, many amateur grade wattmeters are not accurate at low power.
Remember that those with analog meters have an accuracy spec based on
"percentage of full scale" - that is even true of the much revered Bird
meters which are speced at 5% of full scale - immediately after
calibration (many amateur grade meters are speced at 20%)  On a 100 watt
scale, 5% is 5 watts *anywhere* on the scale!  That fact makes measuring
a 2 watt signal level problematic.  The meter can read anywhere between
2 watts (plus or minus) 5 watts and still be correct - the student
should "do the math". :-)

73,
Don W3FPR