Jack,

I see Wayne has responded and I am certain he will help get to the
bottom of the problem.

I do have one question about your SSB behavior - do you see the same
drop-off in power if you set the wattmeter to read peak?
The power rating of the K3 is expressed in Peak Envelope Power, so your
metering should match when trying to compare apples to apples.

On your PSK31 situation, are you driving the audio to the K3 high enough
to produce 4 to 5 bars on the "ALC" meter, and setting your desired
power output with the K3 power knob?
If you are trying to use the audio level to control the power output, it
will behave much as you have described.  The K3 measures the power
output, and decides there is not enough to match the setting of your
power knob, so it increases the drive attempting to produce more power.
Drive the audio input so you have at least 4 ALC bars with maybe the 5th
flickering.
The "ALC" meter on the K3 is not completely an indication of ALC - the
first 4 bars act more like a VU meter to tell you the audio level.  The
5th bar indicates the start of ALC action.

73,
Don W3FPR