Hi Paul,

On Oct 6, 2004, at 2:58 PM, Paul Kislanko wrote:

I guess y'all are missing my point.

Finally, we're in agreement! :-)

A wins in the example ONLY because the method discards the C>A votes because
of the B>C>A set of ballots.

I don't know if that's the only reason, and the more usual term would be "overrules", but keep going.

If we're trying to find something better than plurality, it needs to be
demonstrably better, and of course this example gives exactly the same
results as plurality, which is why examples aren't proofs.

I suspect we're arguing over 'demonstrably'. Do you mean that it must be better in *all* possible cases? In this particular case? In a certain class of cases of interest to you?

But, to use the terminology and techniques y'all do, let's examine the
BALLOTS that result if B is not a candidate:

4: A>C
5: C>A

Adding B to the mix causes A to be elected, even though all voters who
prefer B over anybody voted A third of the 3.

Okay, I think that's what most people here call the 'spoiler' effect. I don't remember the original example, but it sounds like yes, that's a problem.

So I ask again, if A should win, why should I prefer any method over
plurality?

If you think that: a) cycles are *normal*, and likely to occur in most elections b) the *only* thing that matters is the spoiler effect then sure, MAM has no advantage for you.

For me, I consider cycles a relatively rare occurrence, and I worry about things like participation and centrism, so there are wide range of cases where MAM gives an outcome superior to plurality (and even IRV), which is why I support it.

I fully accept that you (and many other people) see no advantage in MAM. That is different than saying it has no advantages whatsoever, though. I believe that most people, once they understand the issues, would readily accept its advantages and be willing to change. Not everyone, but enough.

-- Ernie P.
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. <DrErnie at RadicalCentrism.org>
The mission of www.RadicalCentrism.org is
to help individuals, communities, and systems
becoming sustainably centered – happy, healthy & holy –
by being properly rooted in humility, justice & love.