On Jan 7, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Ted Stern wrote:

The Iowa plan has worked well for 20-odd years:

      http://www.centrists.org/pages/2004/07/7_buck_trust.html

There is a similar method in place in Washington State.

Hey, *I* like it. But reading that article, it seems to require a certain level of maturity on the part of the legislature, and trust in judges on the part of the public. I fear both are in shorter supply in California than in Iowa. Not so much that it can't work, but perhaps enough that people might not want to take that risk...

[snip comments on PR and legislative size]
This is a deep issue.

Heh. In California we have so many shallow stupidities, I'll settle for solving those first...

-- Ernie P.