My recent "MinMax" message concluded with a
half-hearted attempt at a system combining Approval
and Condorcet.  I have a much better proposal now,
although I'm not entirely certain of its merits.  I'll
continue to think about it, although I have some
interesting implications already.

The voter ranks candidates.  Equal ranking and
truncation are permitted.  RANKING A CANDIDATE IMPLIES
APPROVAL, while not ranking a candidate implies
disapproval.  (In other words, you cannot rank the
candidates that you disapprove.)

Two matrices are calculated.  One is the standard
Condorcet matrix, where the value in row x, column y
is the number of ballots on which X was ranked, and Y
was either ranked lower or not ranked at all.  To this
is added the second matrix, where the value in row x,
column y is the number of ballots on which X was
ranked and Y was not ranked.  Apply a Condorcet method
to the resulting matrix to find the winner.

What follows are final matrices which are options for
a single voter whose preference order is A>B>C>D>E.

Voting A>B>C>D>E under standard Condorcet (not this
hybrid method):
   a   b   c   d   e
a  .   1   1   1   1
b  0   .   1   1   1
c  0   0   .   1   1
d  0   0   0   .   1
e  0   0   0   0   .

Voting A>B>C>D (E unranked) under this hybrid system:
   a   b   c   d   e
a  .   1   1   1   2
b  0   .   1   1   2
c  0   0   .   1   2
d  0   0   0   .   2
e  0   0   0   0   .
Notice that the least preferred, E, is inherently hurt
worse than under standard Condorcet.  To make up for
the defeat by A, for instance, E must be ranked above
A on *two* ballots, or one ballot if A is unranked
(disapproved).

Voting A>B>C  (DE unranked):
   a   b   c   d   e
a  .   1   1   2   2
b  0   .   1   2   2
c  0   0   .   2   2
d  0   0   0   .   0
e  0   0   0   0   .
The voter gives up the pleasure of ranking D over E,
in order to give A, B, and C an extra boost over D.

Voting A>B  (CDE unranked):
   a   b   c   d   e
a  .   1   2   2   2
b  0   .   2   2   2
c  0   0   .   0   0
d  0   0   0   .   0
e  0   0   0   0   .
Same thing.  A and B get an additional boost against
C.

Voting A  (BCDE unranked):
   a   b   c   d   e
a  .   2   2   2   2
b  0   .   0   0   0
c  0   0   .   0   0
d  0   0   0   .   0
e  0   0   0   0   .
Bullet-voting.  The voter gives up all ranking
influence in order to help A as much as possible.

I think there are some things to be said for this
system.  Truncation can actually be in your interests.
 It's arguably more expressive, although you could
have a dispute there: Is it more important to be able
to rank all candidates, or to express disapproval?

The following example and resolution reminds me of
something Saari suggested here once:
60: A>B (C unranked)
40: B  (AC unranked)

A wins on the Condorcet matrix, but B wins on the
Approval matrix and also on the whole.  (Don't forget
that next time, the A>B voters can defend against this
result if they want.)

The B victory looks like a violation of Mutual
Majority.

Any thoughts?

Kevin Venzke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]