Dear Raphfrk,

you wrote:
It seems to me that the voters, will not be sure which of the main candidates have a chance.

Under this assumption, your analysis makes sense. But I meant (without saying so unfortunately) that everybody has perfect information about the others' preferences.

Btw, I think your original proposal is pretty cool too. I wonder what the effects of putting a threshold would be on the strategic effects.

For example, if a candidate represents more than 90% of the balls in the urn, they are declared the winner without drawing any.

Thanks. Such a threshold could be justified in order to keep very extreme options off. (Usually I don't really care about this detail since I think any community is well-advised to reduce the set of options to "constitutional" options before any decision. But that is a different discussion).

Do you think one could modify the "Anti-STV" approach in a different way to overcome the cloning problem without making the method majoritarian?

Yours, Jobst

Raphfrk
Interesting site
"what if anyone could modify the laws"