Kathy Dopp wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Dave Ketchum <da...@clarityconnect.com> wrote:

Computer scientists have already mathematically proven that counting
IRV/STV is an exponential problem in computer science. Far far more
difficult and time-consuming to count accurately than other voting
methods. I am fairly certain that your assertion about counting time
is incorrect.

Do you have any sources for this? My election methods program implements STV (both conventional and Meek), and seems to return winners quite quickly.

Are you referring to that it's not summable (thus communications between districts require data that's worst case exponential wrt the number of candidates)? Or are you referring to the equivalent for space, that in the worst case, there may be an exponential number of voters, each with a different order, and so counting is worst case exponential wrt the number of candidates?