There is an obvious aspect to this that is often overlooking in attempts to understand and predict voter behavior, which is that human beings are social animals and act not just for their own welfare, but for the welfare of the society. To understand the behavior of social animals, one must look not just from the perspective of a society's welfare being some kind of sum of individual welfare values, but also as if the society is itself a kind of decision-making organism, making decisions on behalf of the society as a whole.

"Society" here can range from a small collection of individuals all the way up to every member of a species, and maybe even more than that. In analyzing elections, we may think of collections of voters who act coherently, and the application of game theory as if there is no issue of "common welfare," of, say, voting as a ritual in which a collective good is developed (or attempted), is going to be impoverished.

As has been pointed out, the individual expected value of voting is miniscule, being the probability that my vote will affect the outcome, times the value of that outcome over the other possibilities, which usually is only one (in partisan elections in the U.S., I have in mind).

But I don't vote because of that expected value; rather I behave as part of a whole class of voters who, in some way or other, think like me. Voting is a ritual in which we engage for the value that the participation itself gives us, a sense of satisfaction, perhaps, at having fulfilled a civic duty, and, collectively, of having exercised the power we have instead of taking no responsibility for it.

Different voters may have different motivations, and many may never even give the "expected value of voting" a second thought. They know instinctively that by voting they are participating in something larger than themselves. At that moment, "we" are making a decision, or trying to.