On 2/19/2012 1:24 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> On 02/19/2012 06:18 AM, Richard Fobes wrote:
>> More specifically, European politicians seem to be as clueless as U.S.
>> politicians about what is needed to "create jobs" and restore widespread
>> economic prosperity.
>
> Let me just say that, as a Norwegian, that does not match my experience
> at all.

Ah, indeed Norway has a better political system than the "main" European nations (France, Germany, Spain, etc.). Also, oil exports put Norway in a much better position economically than what's going on here in the U.S. (and tighter budgets result in greater dysfunctionality). And, culturally, Norwegians seem to be enlightened more so than many other countries.

The need for Norway to resist the European Union in its effort to "bite off too much" underscores my point about European nations, on average -- which implies a lack of wise leadership in both the EU and the countries that dominate the EU.

A point about the EU: Personally I think that creating the Eurodollar as a monetary unit that is represented in currency was a mistake. Before the Eurodollar was instituted, I publicly (in "The Futurist" magazine) suggested that something called a "Unidollar" should be created as a monetary unit that is defined in a way that does not inflate or deflate with respect to tangible "things" and services, but without being available as a tangible currency. That would allow people in different countries to talk about monetary amounts in Unidollars without having to know the conversion rate for the country of the person they are talking to. (They only have to know the conversion rate between their country's currency and the Unidollar.) The fact that the EU leaders didn't anticipate the possibility of Greek and Italian (and other) defaults before they even instituted the common currency (and did not realize that just asking new EU nations to make a promise to spend taxpayers' money wisely, with no real way to back up those promises) reveals a lack of wisdom.

As for the U.S., the biggest (but not the only) election unfairness occurs in primary elections as a result of vote splitting. "Special interests" -- the people who give the largest amounts of money to election campaigns -- have learned to give money to candidates in the primary elections of _both_ the Republican party and the Democratic party (as needed), and give additional support to "spoiler" candidates when needed. The result is that the money-backed candidate in each party's primary election wins, and then it doesn't much matter whether the Republican or the Democrat wins the "general election".

Simply getting one political party or the other to use a fairer voting method (any of the ones supported by the Declaration of Election-Method Reform Advocates) in the primary elections would greatly improve the ability of voters to elect problem-solving leaders -- instead of special-interest puppets. (After one party adopts such fairer primary elections, the other party would soon have to do the same or else risk losing lots of support.)

That's all I have time to write now.

Richard Fobes