On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:23:44AM +0300, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
> Witold Filipczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Date formats differ among various locales.
> > Those used by ELinks in directory listings may not be appropriate for
> > everyone.
>
> Are they appropriate for you?

No. I would like "%e %4b  %Y" instead of "%b %e  %Y".

> Do users complain?
>
> > IMHO there are 3 choices:
> > - leave them as they are
> > - let user to define them
> > - use gettext
>
> Are you going to get the "Jan" "Mon" "AM" etc. strings from libc
> (via strftime or nl_langinfo) or put them in elinks/po too?
> Reading locale data from libc based on the ELinks language
> setting is not entirely trivial:
>
> - As was briefly discussed in #ELinks on 2007-04-14, POSIX
>   does not specify names of locales, except "C" and "POSIX".
>   _nl_find_domain() in elinks/src/intl/gettext/finddomain.c
>   already parses names of locales and has to make some
>   assumptions on their syntax, but constructing such names
>   would require even further assumptions.
>
> - There is also the possibility that the locale is in principle
>   supported by libc but has not been installed.  In Debian, this
>   is controlled via /etc/locale.gen.  In such cases though, I
>   think the users should just ask the sysadmin to install it.

Do I write too enigmatic?
I want to translate only format strings not results of strftime.

> If you put the strings in elinks/po and reimplement strftime,
> I think it will be bloat... especially if we ever get a ja.po
> and have to add emperor data to support "%EY".  Probably that
> won't happen before Shift-JIS charset support though.

I doubt that someone reimplement (change behaviour) strftime.
When the format string changes in the code, old translations
will be invalid and ELinks choose the text from the code, not
from .mo files. I see no problem here.
Three more items (the format for fresh files, the format for older
ones and the format for spaces) to translate is a bloat?

--
Witek