Witold Filipczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:23:44AM +0300, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
>> Are they appropriate for you?
>
> No. I would like "%e %4b  %Y" instead of "%b %e  %Y".

Do you think other Polish users would like the same?

In /usr/share/i18n/locales/pl_PL from the Debian locales 2.3.6-7
package, I see (escapes decoded):

d_t_fmt "%a %d %b %Y %T %Z"
d_fmt   "%Y-%m-%d"
t_fmt   "%T"
am_pm   "";""
t_fmt_ampm ""
date_fmt       "%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"

So the %b %e order seems to have been preferred in at least some
circumstances.

> I want to translate only format strings not results of strftime.

Okay.  So you'd get format strings from po/ based on ui.language,
but things like "%a" would be expanded according to LC_TIME.
To get correct output for a locale, users would then have to set
both of these in the same way.

If you implement this, please note that strftime will expand
format specifiers according to the charset of LC_TIME (or
LC_CTYPE; their charsets should always match).  So the format
strings taken from gettext should also be in this charset,
otherwise you get a mixture that is difficult to display.
This cannot always be done with _(), which uses the charset
of struct terminal.

> Three more items (the format for fresh files, the format for older
> ones and the format for spaces) to translate is a bloat?

No, that is not bloat.  Instead, _if_ we decided that format
specifiers should be expanded according to ui.language so that
users could try out different settings without having to restart
ELinks with a new LC_TIME, then we'd have to either specify
locale names within ELinks (hurting portability) or include the
corresponding code and data (causing bloat).