You have a lot of questions here.  First off let met mention I am not an expert
on Coreboot or SeaBIOS.  I knew there was an Open Source Legacy BIOS in
existence, and was able to find a page discussing projects in Tianocore.org
that mentioned SeaBOS.  It also noted that the integration project around
SeaBIOS was deprioritized.

In you messages, you mentioned QEMU, from this link
(https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Platforms) QEMU
is machine simulator, so you may be crossing platform boundaries between real
hardware and simulated hardware by pursuing OVFM or QEMU in regards to the
current situation.

Also, I know very little about CoreBoot, and am not comfortable attempting to
respond to questions on this subject.

My experience is wholly with the UEFI firmware versions, particularly the
variant shipped with the product (64 bit production as opposed to 32 bit and/or
debug options).

That said, the notice about SeaBIOS basically indicates the following:  SeaBIOS
source code is predominately in the C programming language, as opposed to
assembly (which was the original Legacy BIOS’s source language).  The build
environment or SeaBIOS was a standard GNU C toolchain (as opposed to other C
compilers in the market).  The Legacy BIOS image created from the SeaBIOS
sources was tested with the following boot loaders: GNU, GRUB, LILO and
SYSLINUX.  The following Operating systems were tested with SeaBIOS: Microsoft
Windows (versions using Legacy BIOS), Linux, FreeDOS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and
OpenBSD.

You can put Coreboot on your MinnowBoard MAX/Turbot, but the specifics on doing
so are not in my area of experience or expertise, so I am going to defer those
kinds of questions to other members of this community, who have experience and
can respond with confidence.

That said, I will make the following general technical statements (to the
community: if these statements are less than accurate, please comment and
correct them):

·         If you cannot boot to the shell on your platform, then the shell
based firmware update program cannot be run and that option for SPI update is
closed to you.

·         Since the platform cannot boot to any OS in its current state, I
regretfully have to inform you there is no software only solution (which I am
aware of) on how to get your SPI part updated to a new/different firmware image.

·         The only remaining option is to use a Hardware SPI programming device
to “push” a new firmware image into the SPI part.  There have been other
conversations about this over the years, so rather than attempt to repeat them,
I will leave you to look them up or the community to provide links to the most
“helpful” of those still in archive.

·         Personal Note: If you are going to build your own firmware images for
a MinnowBoard MAX/Turbot, it is recommended you acquire an SPI programmer as it
is doubtful that one will not be in a non-booting situation again and will be
required to use a hardware device (software options not being available) to get
a known working firmware image into the SPI (as well as pushing non-tested
experimental firmware images onto the platform)…  Basically, this takes one
into the realm of doing firmware development, and a hardware programmer is a
standard tool for firmware developers.

·         There are a few options for SPI programmers, of varying price and
capability.  There were a few devices at one time that were very economical,
which exposed a mechanism to re-flash the SPI, but I do not know if they are
still commercially available or not (maybe the community could help here?).  I
know that Dediprog devices (like the SF100) are still out there, but they are
not inexpensive.  (Again, maybe the community has some other options to
consider?)

Sincerely,

Michael Krau

While I am an Intel employee, I do not represent Intel and am not authorized to
speak for Intel.