I understand the principle of wanting to avoid Twitter and Reddit. I feel
pretty conflicted about those two services myself. But the fact remains
that /r/elm is going to be a place that people go to ask questions, and if
nobody is there to answer them we're giving people a really bad experience.

See also: the Go team tried to disown /r/golang for similar reasons last
month. It caused a big stir and they ended up changing moderators and
dropping the "official forum" status. Once people who were willing to
moderate and contribute stepped up, it improved by leaps and bounds. Even
the people who wanted to see it retired have remarked on the change in only
half a month. I think /r/elm could see similar improvement.

Bottom line for me: the services that we build on are important, but not as
important as the communities we create. Communities can move around despite
services coming and going. Right now we have elm-discuss, Slack, and
/r/elm. Discourse is awesome, but as Richard pointed out it would only
fragment those fora further.