On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 7:00:34 PM UTC, Martin DeMello wrote:

> I'm a heavy reddit user, and I think it simply lacks the features
> necessary to support mailing-list-style discussions:

You can't quote when replying.

I like newsgroups so much better then /r/elm. I like the old fashioned feel
of them, the anarchic style, the freedom to be conversational or express
myself however I like within the confines of ASCII. There is still
something of the old attitude of usenet alive in them that just seems to be
lacking on the alternatives. I take great pride in quoting carefully,
replying to multiple questions with responses in-line underneath, not top
posting and so on. In other words newsgroups or mailing lists take bit of
work and manners to operate successfully and that all contributes to making
a community.

A few thoughts for you:

Having a split community might actually be a good thing. For one, there are
enough people interested that >1 splinter of this community is alive
concurrently. That in itself is an achievement because something needs to
reach a certain size for that to happen. Also it makes the community as a
whole more resilient - if one splinter dies out, others may carry on.

Removing duplication is a good thing for code - but for community growth
and engagement, perhaps it isn't.

So I'm just going to keep on posting here, because it is the best place for
me and I've had plenty interesting and helpful responses.

Also, what about this:

http://elm-news.com/

Perfect for keeping up-to-date with multiple channels. All it needs is user
accounts or to use local storage so it can keep track of what you have read
or not.