My main hesitation about reddit is that, even on the best-case subs like
/r/rust, newcomer posts tends to get downvoted or ignored.

Here, if a newcomer posts a basic question, many people will ignore them,
but the poster doesn't know that. Someone will post a solution, or a link
to one, and they will be on their way. On /r/elm, they see their post
sitting at 1,0 or -1 votes, and and up feeling like newcomer questions
aren't welcome, and are more likely to try to find a tool with a more
friendly community.

My vote would be for Discourse or something similar. I think being able to
sticky posts would remove a lot of the redundant messages we see on this
list, and being able to sort by subject would make it easier for people to
see what they're most interested in.