Thanks all, I'm still playing with it and will try all of your suggestions,
then report back.

The thing that complicates this is that I'm trying all of this from the
CentOS (minimal) installer environment loaded from a USB drive, rather than
the actual OS installed on the disk, as I can't actually get the installed
OS to load after installation (keeps falling into the emergency
environment). I'm thinking a lot of my challenges may have something to do
with that? However, I have had a lot of luck with loading other KMODs on
other systems that have out-of-support hardware (megaraid_sas) in this
fashion (loading the RPM from a DUD using the "inst.dd" kernel parameter).

I'm not exactly sure how to use `yum` in the installer environment yet
(looks like there is `anaconda-yum`, so I could possibly experiment with
that). I'm doing another fresh install of CentOS (it takes a while) and
then I'll try to `chroot` into that environment from the installer
environment, and install the RPM with `yum`. If that doesn't work, I'll do
a `yum upgrade` and try again. I don't know if that is really helpful or
not, but I'm curious to see what happens.

To shed a little light around my main goal is that I have a LOT of these
systems with this chipset that I'm trying to get onto CentOS 7 using
Foreman, so it is ultimately important for me to be able to get the CentOS
installer environment to load the KMOD RPM via a DUD, which would ensure
that the OS installs at a non-glacial pace and actually loads during boot :)

Apologies if I'm making this overly complicated!

Tristan