On 20/07/2021 17:31, Tristan Evans wrote:
Thanks all, I'm still playing with it and will try all of your suggestions, then report back.

The thing that complicates this is that I'm trying all of this from the CentOS (minimal) installer environment loaded from a USB drive, rather than the actual OS installed on the disk, as I can't actually get the installed OS to load after installation (keeps falling into the emergency environment). I'm thinking a lot of my challenges may have something to do with that? However, I have had a lot of luck with loading other KMODs on other systems that have out-of-support hardware (megaraid_sas) in this fashion (loading the RPM from a DUD using the "inst.dd" kernel parameter).

I'm not exactly sure how to use `yum` in the installer environment yet (looks like there is `anaconda-yum`, so I could possibly experiment with that). I'm doing another fresh install of CentOS (it takes a while) and then I'll try to `chroot` into that environment from the installer environment, and install the RPM with `yum`. If that doesn't work, I'll do a `yum upgrade` and try again. I don't know if that is really helpful or not, but I'm curious to see what happens.

To shed a little light around my main goal is that I have a LOT of these systems with this chipset that I'm trying to get onto CentOS 7 using Foreman, so it is ultimately important for me to be able to get the CentOS installer environment to load the KMOD RPM via a DUD, which would ensure that the OS installs at a non-glacial pace and actually loads during boot :)

Apologies if I'm making this overly complicated!

Tristan

Hi Tristan,

I've sent you a DUD image for kmod-sata_via off list just in case, but sounds like you already have a fair amount of experience working with these.

Apologies, in my earlier reply I'd assumed you had a working (albeit slowly) installation - I didn't realise you couldn't boot into it.

Phil