> Is there a specific reason why a lot of NS specific code is used to
> store the cursor as a frame parameter?
> There's this wonderful `get_window_cursor_type' from xdisp.c that
> could be used to get the right cursor type, which also allows stuff
> like (bar . 2), which isn't supported right now.

It's been a longstanding TODO to normalize the cursor handling under
NS.  Both for storing the shape, as mentioned, and also the blink
handling.  Most of the code that's in there dates from before emacs
itself had these features, and since it has been mostly working it's
been less pain to keep it working than to rip it out and start afresh
with the emacs stuff.  Time for that to change, and I'd definitely
welcome help or a patch for all or part of it.

-Adrian