On 28/01/2022 02:15, Tim Cross wrote:

If we do deprecate support for $...$, it might also be a good idea to
see if we can add a utility function which would make it easier for
people to migrate existing documents to the new/alternative syntax. For
the same reason it is hard to reliably parse $...$ syntax, we probably
can't automate that transition, but we should be able to reduce the effort
required to update existing documents.

There is no point to discuss deprecation of $...$ and $$...$$ while usage of such constructs is not discouraged by the org manual info "(org) LaTeX fragmets" https://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-fragments.html and by the compact guide https://orgmode.org/guide/Embedded-LaTeX.html

Even though org syntax says that support of these constructs ought to be removed, users expect that they should work well.