On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 3:06 AM Payas Relekar <relekarpa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert Weiner <r...@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Thanks, Jean.  We have started work on a note-taking subsystem for
> > Hyperbole that will store UUIDs per note and will likely support
> backlinks
> > too.  We are seeing if we can make it support Koutlines, Emacs Outlines,
> > Org mode files and Markdown files, searching across all formats at the
> same
> > time.  The default for creating new notes will likely be a personal
> > Koutline file.
>
> Not Jean, but as someone using Org with Hyperbole, this is a great news!

Good to hear.  Maybe you can provide early feedback when it hits the
Hyperbole pre-release in the elpa-devel package archive (pre-releases of
Hyperbole packaged up from the git master branch tip).

> > We welcome brief summaries of features you need for effective note taking
> > in Emacs.  We are not looking to do much with images or on mobile
> devices,
> > just focused on people who spend a lot of time in Emacs and want an
> > easy-to-use notes system that does not require any external packages like
> > SQLite.
>
> For my 2c:
>
> - Multiple small files vs single large file.
>   I currently have former, with org-roam taking care of finding, linking
>   and backlinking between files, making it a non-issue to easily build a
>   network of connected topics/thoughts

Yes.  It will search over many files and even recursive directories of
files.  Org-roam has a good model for rapid searching, so we'll have to
consider something similar.  It might not be in the first release but will
come by the second major release.

> - Daily notes
>   Every day gets its own note, only generated if visited. This allows
>   dumping the thoughts at that moment rather than first hunting the
>   correct node. Then they can be easily filtered into actual topic note,
>   or just be referenced via backlinks buffer

Each note will have an optional datetime stamp which will be on by
default.  If you care to make one note per day, you can do that.

> - sqlite might just be better, considering overhead of opening and
>   parsing hundreds-thousands of small files is non-negligible.

Yes, that is the reason for desiring some kind of database-backed indexing.

> - Refiling
>   Refile/move the subtree (in Org terms) can be easily moved to another
>   file and the links automatically point to new location. This means I
>   can always know rearranging stuff later is a possibility, and its less
>   cognitive burden to organize.

Yes.  The idea is that you initially capture notes into a single default
file and then can quickly refile them as needed.

> In short, the framework takes care of organization and makes retrieval
> easy and all I have to worry about is the content.

Yes, I think we typically do this throughout Hyperbole, as it is very
important to us.

Thanks for the thoughts.

-- rsw