On 26/10/2022 15:07, Samuel Wales wrote:

can dunst go away after a short period?

I have never tried it. Unsure if it has enough configuration options.

Does it mean that you get notification displayed? Have you tried?

    notify-send --expire-time 2000 ...

i launch dbus manually as fluxbox is not a dm
eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)

I believe, notification daemon should be running is addition to d-bus daemon. Notification daemon just register an additional interfaces on d-bus and responsible for notification windows.

unfamiliar with notifications.el. if recommended i can look into it.

I am unsure what is more convenient in your case to avoid shell commands, org-notify from org-clock.el or functions from notifications.el