Daniel Clemente <n142...@gmail.com> writes:

> In particular, when setting (setq org-element-cache-persistent nil)
> org-mode *should not* create an org-persist directory anywhere. And I
> think it shouldn't activate org-persist timers (it does now) or hooks.
> The user's preference should be respected.

Nope. "org-persist" directory is not only used by org-element. If some
other parts of Org need to cache something, they can also store cache
there.

> That's a code change.
> If you just want to update documentation, a starting point can be
> org-element-cache-persistent's documentation, which is just "Non-nil
> when cache should persist between Emacs sessions.", and doesn't
> mention that some files will always be created even if it's nil. It
> also doesn't explicitly mention that it will create files (better be
> explicit about this), or where (or how to control where), or which
> content (i.e. just statistics, or parts of possible private org
> files).

May you suggest an alternative docstring?

> I suggest making an explicit difference between "caching in memory"
> and "caching by storing files on disk".
> For instance:
> (defvar org-element-use-cache t
>   "Non-nil when Org parser should cache its results.")
> From that description, it's not clear to a new user whether they're
> creating files on disk (as caches often do) or not.

Do you mean something like

"Non-nil when Org parser should cache its results.

The cache is stored in-memory and may also be stored on disk if
`org-element-cache-persistent' is non-nil (the default)."

?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,