    > Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> writes:
    >>> Can we instead store them in memory? Yes, but (1) it will make
    >>> Emacs RAM consumption grow constantly and more and more previews
    >>> are generated; (2) it will require significant changes in the
    >>> Org mode codebase.
    >>
    >> I understand all that, but if the user wants it, and insist on
    >> not caching any data, let them have what they want.

    > It is not about letting or not letting them. I would have to
    > implement it. (I am ok with it, but I am not going to prioritize
    > my time for nice-to-haves; though I would not mind patches
    > submitted by interested users).

    >> ... My surprise was caused by your "it is impossible"; I now
    >> understand that you meant "not reasonable" or perhaps "users will
    >> not like that" instead.

    > I meant:

    > 1. not reasonable in a sense that it has downsides compared to
    > what we do now - save latex previews on disk 2. impossible in a
    > sense that we do not have an existing toggle to store cached
    > previews in memory. Such functionality would have to be added; and
    > it is not necessarily trivial to add it.

I too was one of those complainers who wanted to be able to disable
org-persist completely. The argument about latex preview is really a
non-starter in my opinion. I never use latex-preview and I'm sure I'm
not alone in this. I also would not class the disabling of org-persist
to be a 'nice-to-have'.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.