Colin Baxter <m43...@yandex.com> writes:

>     > 1. not reasonable in a sense that it has downsides compared to
>     > what we do now - save latex previews on disk 2. impossible in a
>     > sense that we do not have an existing toggle to store cached
>     > previews in memory. Such functionality would have to be added; and
>     > it is not necessarily trivial to add it.
>
> I too was one of those complainers who wanted to be able to disable
> org-persist completely. The argument about latex preview is really a
> non-starter in my opinion. I never use latex-preview and I'm sure I'm
> not alone in this. I also would not class the disabling of org-persist
> to be a 'nice-to-have'.

Let me clarify.

If you do not use latex-preview or other features that cache their
results, org-persist should not create any files or directories.
(It currently does create gc-lock.eld, but I will fix this)

However, if you do use it, Org mode has no option to disable creating
cache.  In fact, Org mode never had such an option. For example,
`org-preview-latex-image-directory' is a part of Org mode since at least
Org 9.0, and it was never an option to disable it. org-persist did not
introduce anything drastically new in this regard.

So, this discussion and people insisting on completely disabling the
cache is a bit strange to me. I suspect that the problem may be not the
cache itself, but either (1) that it is created when cache features are
not really used; (2) that it is created in .emacs.d for some users.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,