I was also thinking about this recently but hadn't gotten as far as writing
a patch.

I was thinking some tags you know you want to remove the fly-spell overlays
but for example caption you might or might not want the flyspell overlays
removed. If there was a variable that could be set to choose some that
might or might not want the overlays to remove. Not sure if this is
possible but what I was originally looking at doing but hadn't gotten time.

Cheers,
Jeff