On 14 Mar 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Edward J. Sabol wrote:
>
>> On 15-Mar-2001, Daniel Pittman wrote:

[...]

>>> It's hard to support, requires hacking the innards of other
>>> packages and introduces load-order dependencies in the packages.
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only a problem with EFS. However,
>> I agree that we should fix it, if we can.
>
> I think some packages look for `/foo:' at the beginning of a file name
> and then decide it's remote.  I think.  Hm.  Maybe VC does this.  Even
> in Emacs.

Yes. Despite `file-remote-p'[1] being available, many packages are
hard-coded to the knowledge of FTP-style paths.

> No matter what the Tramp filename format, I think these packages need
> to be changed, because
>
>     (a) knowing that a file is remote does not necessarily tell you
>         what you can do with it -- ange-ftp and Tramp offer different
>         file operations.; and

Yes. Especially because, for example, VC will refuse to operate on a FTP
file path (because it can't), while TRAMP supports this.

[...]

> But of course EFS is really really really pushy.  It hooks itself into
> dired in many places (it has its own dired, in fact).  Quite
> annoying.  But I have spoken to the

True. I intend to take this up with the maintainers of it, eventually.
It's also true, though, of Ange-FTP.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Which /isn't/ a file operation, dammit, but a hard-coded function
     that *knows* about EFS or Ange-FTP.[2]

[2]  My hack makes this a file operation (yay), in the hope that I can
     convince the XEmacs beta team about it...  and that someone can let
     me know how to get the same thing done with Emacs.

--
Reality is a collective hunch.
        -- Jane Wagner