On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Edward J. Sabol wrote:
> I agree with Francesco. I don't like "/!/" at all.

The prefix will be changeable, using custom, with no trouble at all.

> First off, I have to use the shift key to type the exclamation point.

So, pick something different. "/tramp/" is available. ;)

> Secondly, there's no mnemonic for it at all.

Given Emacs isn't really about that, I am unconcerned.

> "/tr:" was the best idea that's been mentioned. That will fix the DOS
> problem, though perhaps not the EFS problem,

No. It's the `:' I want to avoid, specifically. I don't care if the
default is "/tr/" or "/this-is-a-/really/-silly-prefix/"

> but we've lived with that since the inception of tramp/rcp/rssh and I
> don't consider it a problem personally.

It's hard to support, requires hacking the innards of other packages and
introduces load-order dependencies in the packages.

This makes it less than pleasant to use, as the second bug report on the
new Debian package shows.

The poor user had not loaded the FTP access package first and then TRAMP
lost. :/

        Daniel

--
A drug is neither moral nor immoral--it's a chemical compound. The compound
itself is not a menace to society until a human being treats it as if