On 15 Mar 2001, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> True. I intend to take this up with the maintainers of it,
> eventually.  It's also true, though, of Ange-FTP.

To my knowledge, Ange-FTP isn't so pushy.  For Ange-FTP, it's
sufficient to add it to file-name-handler-alist, and then to deal with
the functions which do the hard-coded pattern matching.  There is
nothing similar to the EFS dired hooks in Ange-FTP.

> Footnotes: [1] Which /isn't/ a file operation, dammit, but a
> hard-coded function that *knows* about EFS or Ange-FTP.[2]
>
> [2] My hack makes this a file operation (yay), in the hope that I
>      can convince the XEmacs beta team about it...  and that someone
>      can let me know how to get the same thing done with Emacs.

Well, it's good to make file-remote-p a file operation, but does it
really help?  I think it doesn't help: VC wants to know whether it can
execute a command with the file, not whether the file is remote.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.